Post 350 was named after Staff Sergeant Harold D. Rood who was killed in action in Germany on March 19, 1945. He was one of 87 New Marlborough residents who served in WWII. The Post was founded February 2, 1946. The first commander was Dudley S. Turner. Legionnaires met at the Town Hall until the 1950s. The Legion acquired the old New Marlborough Center schoolhouse, then unused, as a meeting hall when they had a membership of about 200.
The following were charter members: Dudley S. Turner, Gilbert S. Forest, George E. Brennan, R. Paul Hobensack, Julius Turner, Joseph F. Turner, John F. Fitzpatrick, Francis W. Alexander, Tony Bianchi, Myles R. Stevens, Russell J. Gartha, Harold R. Maxwell, Paul E. Ranolde, Joseph Fitzpatrick, and Alfred G. Stevens.
For information of the Monument and its construction, please contact: Courtney K. Turner, COL, US Army (RET) at (413) 229-2833, or email to: [email protected]